We Need YOU!
Steep Rock Association relies on volunteers like you to help maintain Hidden Valley, Macricostas and Steep Rock preserves and to fulfill our land conservation mission. Please consider becoming a volunteer.
- Help preserve land and enhance wildlife habitat
- Learn new skills
- Meet people who share your passion for nature
- Get outdoors
- Conservation Easement Monitoring – Conservation easements held by Steep Rock Association must be inspected annually to ensure compliance with the deed restrictions. Monitors will be assigned specific easements and will be required to complete an inspection form for each preserve. Training will be provided.
- Nature Preserve Monitoring – Steep Rock Association nature preserves will be inspected annually to monitor boundary line signage and to protect against encroachments. Monitors will be assigned a specific preserve and will be required to complete an inspection form for each preserve. Training will be provided.
- Trail Maintenance – Trail maintenance workdays will be scheduled throughout the year to maintain trails in a safe condition. Projects may include clipping brush, painting trail blazes, installing and/or cleaning waterbars, installing stairs, relocating trails, re-cutting trail treads and repairing erosion.
- Trail Monitoring – Trail monitors are frequent hikers in the preserves who are assigned specific trails to monitor on an on-going basis for damage, erosion and general safety concerns. Monitors document and report trail conditions to staff. Monitors also serve as “first responders” to assess trail conditions after major storms. Training will be provided.
- Wildlife Habitat Improvement – Steep Rock Association is managing the preserves for a diversity of habitats and species. Habitat improvement projects may include invasive plant removal, planting of native species, wildlife surveys, installation of nest boxes and construction of wildlife brush piles.
To become a volunteer, please Click here to open the Volunteer Form.
To fill out the volunteer form electronically, please click within the document and begin typing. Once the document is completely filled out, please print the form and mail the form to the office. If you are unable to type within the body of the PDF, please print the PDF document, fill the form out completely, and send it to the following address:
Steep Rock Association, Inc.
Attention: Volunteer Coordinator
P.O. Box 279
Washington Depot, CT 06794
Please contact Steep Rock Association for further information about volunteer opportunities by calling (860) 868-9131 or email email@example.com